Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We adopted a 2 year old male bichon last October. We noticed…

Hi. We adopted a...

Hi. We adopted a 2 year old male bichon last October. We noticed about 2 months ago that he has a mass under the skin on his right thigh that seems to be attached to the muscle (you can't pinch his skin where this mass is). There is also a black circle on his skin where this mass is, which I had assumed was a birth mark..The vet took an aspiration of the mass and the results came back negative for cancer but positive for inflammation. The vet explained that this is where the rabies shot is given and it is likely a reaction to that, and she expected the mass to reduce over time. The mass has not reduced in the two months since the vet, and Teddy has started to lose his hair where this black circle is on his skin. The vet suggested taking a biopsy of the mass. I'm not sure if the mass and the black skin are related, or two separate issues. What do you think? Thank you, Bridget

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Bichon's name?

Teddy

3/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Bridget. I agree that this mass and skin change needs to be investigated further. Even if it just represents a vaccine reaction it's important to recognized that these reactions can result in cancers. This is more common in cats than dogs, however. Rather than biopsying this, removing it with wide margins and then biopsying the removed tissue might be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for the photo. I suspect that the black represents post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Alopecia X is mostly seen in Poms and is evidenced by profound alopecia of the neck, tail, caudodorsum, ("back of the back"), perineum, and caudal thighs. Hair loss is bilaterally symmetrical. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you very much Dr. Salkin. You've been a big help.
Regards, ***** ***** a wonderful weekend.
Bridget

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.