Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How many milligrams of lactobacillus. the directions say…

Customer Question
How many milligrams of...

How many milligrams of lactobacillus. the directions say quarter of a capsule per 10lbs. the problem is i only have a 15mg pearl. could you please convert this for me?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Bloody mucus stools

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Will that info convert the problem for me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

This is difficult because this is often not found in the mg formula. I would consider a pet product that is not solely lactobacillus but a combination of bacteria commonly found in the gi tract. These are available through your veterinarian but you can also purchase most on sites such as amazon.com:

- Fortiflora
- Proviable
- Prostora

These are veterinary life cultures that are researched and found to be the most effecitve in dogs and my clinic personally carries proviable.

One article lists:
Probiotics are living organisms with low or no pathogenicity that exert beneficial effects (e.g., stimulation of innate and acquired immunity) on the health of the host. The gram-positive commensal lactic acid bacteria (e.g., Lactobacilli) have many beneficial health effects, including enhanced lymphocyte proliferation, innate and acquired immunity, and anti-inflammatory cytokine production. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, a bacterium used in the production of yogurt, is effective in preventing and treating diarrhea, recurrent Clostridia difficile infection, primary rotavirus infection, and atopic dermatitis in humans. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG has been safely colonized in the canine gastrointestinal tract, although probiotic effects in the canine intestine have not been firmly established. The probiotic organism, Enterococcus faecium (SF68), has been safely colonized in the canine gastrointestinal tract, and it has been shown to increase fecal IgA content and circulating mature B (CD21+/MHC class II+) cells in young puppies. It has been suggested that this probiotic may be useful in the prevention or treatment of canine gastrointestinal disease.

So a specific amount of lactobacillus in a 15 mg formula is challenging to differentiate per pet but using a veterinary formula that is generally for all size pets is really going to be the most effective because it isn't just one bacteria in the sample that can proliferate and cause issues of its own but many bacteria effecitve in managing intestinal health

For example, proviable lists seven beneficial bacterial strains:

• Enterococcus faecium
  • Streptococcus thermophilus
  • Lactobacillus acidophilus
  • Lactobacillus bulgaricus
  • Lactobacillus casei
  • Bifidobacterium bifidum
  • Lactobacillus plantarum

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online a few more moments tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you before I sign off for the evening. Researching specifically lactobacilli all information is in CFU (colony forming units) not in mg which do not translate readily. Mg is a concentration whereas CFU is specifically how many colonies of bacteria are in each unit and they are difficult to compare/ contrast, ie apples to oranges...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian