Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's coughing and throws up every time he drinks a very

Customer Question
He's coughing and throws...

He's coughing and throws up every time he drinks a very slick fluid he's a 15 year old shitz

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Porgy 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Porgy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Porgy?

He is losing weight

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I cannot make a diagnosis over the internet, but I can give you some advice regarding your pet. If my recommendations don't work, I would strongly recommend a check up with your family veterinarian.

For the coughing, I would recommend giving Benadryl (1 mg/lb) every 12 hours to help with the inflammation. I would also start him on some Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the throwing up. This is an antacid that can help with vomiting. I would get him started on a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice. It is good for dogs that are vomiting and it helps their appetite overall.