Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 45 pound mix dog ate Juice Plus fruit and veggie gummy…

My 45 pound mix...

My 45 pound mix dog ate Juice Plus fruit and veggie gummy vitamins. Not sure how many but over 30. Do I need to induce vomiting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Daisy, she is a pit, beagle, ridgeback coon hound mix 13 years old. She is looking for water right now,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?

I don't think so....otherwise healthy

3/16/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Can you post a picture of the ingredients in this chat?

2- How long has it been since she ate it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the ingredients for the fruit ones which I will upload now She shredded the veggie bag, She just ate within 30 minutes I believe.

Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am checking and trying to upload photo.

Okay.

Yes, I am typing your answer. Thank you for the pictures.

Friend, the supplements in the pictures are not going to be systemically toxic, but, they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, etc. I would keep an eye on her; if she develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If she becomes restless or lethargic, abdominal swelling, pale gums, etc. have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the reply. Am I ok to start her on Pepcid in the morning as I do not have any now?

Start the Pepcid AC if she starts to vomit. Otherwise, no need to start her on it.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian