Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is starting to get a discoloring on the top of her…

My dog is starting...

My dog is starting to get a discoloring on the top of her nose. Almost like vitiligo. I noticed over time her dark colored jowls have turned pink in two areas and now it appears her nose is doing the same. What is it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She’s not hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is your dog's name and age?

She’s 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Penny

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Penny's nose to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment, please...

Her nose hasn't changed but where the nose meets the bridge of her snout I can see minor inflammation and alopecia. This can be traumatic or infectious (nasal pyoderma/bacterial skin infection; yeast/Malassezia;dermatophyte/ringworm fungus) in origin. The lesion is too small for me to be more specific for you. Penny's vet can perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of affected skin surface looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria and yeast) and perform a fungal culture but I would avoid the expense at this time and treat the area with a combination antibiotic/antiyeast/antifungal/antiinflammatory ointment such as Otomax which would need to be prescribed by Penny's vet. There's no evidence of vitiligo or nasal depigmentation in the form of Dudley nose or snow nose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for the information. I will make an appointment with her vet tomorrow!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian