Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had diarrhea this morning and a little vomiting. I did…

She had diarrhea this...

She had diarrhea this morning and a little vomiting. I did take her to the vet there was no blood in her stool but I just took her out and she pooped a soft one then just started bleeding a fair amount she is a 12 pound mini poodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I took a sample and will bring it to the vet in the morning she was dehydrated and they gave her an IV but she was vey playful the rest of the day I am just concerned about her tonight

3/16/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Was it mostly frank blood in the stool? Did they do any blood tests?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they tested her blood for Pancreatitis I did not have a stool sample because she had diarrhea but tonight she had a soft stool first then she just started bleeding from the rectum. So I collected it and will bring it in the morning. I am concerned tonight on what I should do. She was put on Metrnidazole. she was dehydrated and was given fluids
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I don't feel it is necessary to call

Okay. Did they check a CBC for white and red blood cell count? Or just a pancreatitis test?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is what is on the receipt
Chem/CBC/cPL(idexx2338)

Great! Thanks.

Do you have a copy of the results? (Prob not)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no it was done this afternoon. I assume they will have it tomorrow

Oh, they did not run the blood right there in-house?

I suspect we may be dealing with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis which causes vomiting and bloody diarrhea. It is treated with IV fluids at high rates in-hospital for 24-48 hrs. If the blood work shows evidence of this, please hospitalize your dog. It will provide a full recovery with no further problems down the road (random occurrence of this disease process with no relapses). For tonight, try to push fluids if you can and feed a bland diet, but see your vet first thing tomorrow morning. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there?

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I definitely will call first thing in the morning. From what I read you are probably correct with the hemorrhagic gastroenteritis
She did just drink a little. She had rice with a little pumpkin earlier but I am not going to feed her anything else. I just hope she can get thru the night without too much discomfort. She is the kind of dog who doesn't bark but will sit up and look at you or sit by the door! That's why I didn't know she had an upset stomach during the middle of the night. I do have doggie diapers. She is 3 years old. and never messes in the house. So when she did I knew something was wrong
thank you
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian