Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (dachshund) has been bloated for the past few days. I…

My dog (dachshund) has...

My dog (dachshund) has been bloated for the past few days. I do not believe this is bloat because she has been pooping a lot more than normal. Her stomach is making a lot of noise and she occasionally has gas. I tried giving her a small dosage of baby gas drops and that has not helped so far. She still tries to play, but I can tell she is uncomfortable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your dog's name and age?

Lucy and she's six

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

She ate a feminine pad before the bloating started while I was out. But she has pooped a lot since then.

3/16/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

How many days ago did she eat the pad? Is she avoiding playing, jumping, or doing stairs? How is her appetite?

Her appetite is normal but she ate the pad about four days ago. She still goes up the stairs (she has always struggled going down) and tries to play.

Any vomiting or diarrhea? What does she weigh?

She weighs about 18 pounds. No vomiting or diarrhea but she has been going a lot more frequently.

Okay. What pain meds do you have at home from this list (this list only):

Tramadol

Gabapentin

Aspirin

Dog pain meds from your vet

I have aspirin but none of the others

Okay. The most likely cause here is chronic back pain. It causes a bloated abdomen, diarrhea or more stools, gas, decreased desire to jump or do stairs, and sometimes a decreased appetite or increased thirst. Try giving half of an adult aspirin every 8-12 hours or 2 baby aspirin every 8-12 hours and see if there is improvement. If there is, see your vet for more appropriate pain management and tell them you suspect back pain. Good luck! I hope your little sweetie feels better soon!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

We did switch her food about a week and a half ago to food rated five stars by dogfood, would that have anything to do with it?

Did you switch abruptly, or gradually over a few days?

Somewhat gradual, my boyfriend feeds her in the morning and wasn't doing it so gradual. I feed her at night and would mix in the old food with the new food

If this was 10 days ago I doubt it is related.

If it was 2-3 days ago, maybe. This seems more like classic back pain.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

I saw that you asked to be refunded, which means I do not get paid for helping you. Were you not happy with the information I gave you? I hope this is not just a way to get good information from good, hardworking people without paying them...

This is a classic case of back pain including the gas, increased stool, and bloated abdomen, and dachshunds are known for this. Please trust my experience... if you are not willing to pay me for the 20mins I spent working with you, I hope that for the sake of your dog you are at least willing to try the expert advice you have gleaned off me free of charge. The most important thing is that your dog starts to feel better even if you are unwilling to pay for that to happen.