Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Bichon who is about 10 years old and she is panting…

I have a Bichon...

I have a Bichon who is about 10 years old and she is panting terribly she is whining if I'm not holding her and I really don't know what to do don't know if she has a tummy ache or if she is sick or in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is***** and she's a Bichon and she is almost 10 years old. She's had this before but it seems like it's really tough on her tonight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Nellie?

She will be 10 July 4th

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Nellie, please? I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to email or text in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Thank you for responding to me Nellee is much much better this morning she and I spent the entire night up she needed me to walk her hold her carry her lay on the floor with her she was really in rough shape last night. She has an appointment with her vet next Monday the 26th and I'm discussing it with him also. She goes through this every now and then but last night was really bad her tummy was very bloated and hard and she was in pain because she was doing a lot of panting she drank last night some water she did go to the bathroom and urinated and she also pooed twice yesterday. Not sure what causes this it's not the first time she's had it before but not to this extent. She is being treated for a problem with her gallbladder and she's taking medication for that. I'm really curious to get a second opinion to try to figure this out. She is very precious to me and she is a service dog and I adore her. But when she's sick like that I get scared. Any information you could give would help.

Thank you for the additional information. "Being treated for a problem with her gallbaldder" is a clue that you may be seeing a "gallbladder attack" which is quite painful in people and pets. Ultrasounding her gallbladder if important is that hasn't been done recently. She may have formed a gallbladder mucocoel or gallstones and surgery may be needed. If she hadn't experienced abdominal bloating I would have considered sundowner's syndrome in such a dog. This is a form of cognitive dysfunction in which the dark and quiet of night increases these dogs' anxiety resulting in panting and aimless wandering. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
She did have an ultrasound a few weeks ago to a month and first they thought it was a problem with her liver because of blood test when they did the ultrasound they found that she had a problem with her gallbladder they called it slurry something and that's why she was put on the medication. I've been doing really good for the last couple of months and it makes sense that it is some kind of gallbladder attack it only happens maybe once a month but when it does it's it's tough and she is in pain. This morning she's acting like nothing happened and so far I haven't eat anything but this afternoon I will start on a little bit of boiled chicken breast boneless and skinless. I will also tell me that who is a specialist to what we discussed and what you feel like might be wrong with her. It sounds pretty much but this is what he's treating her for. This is definitely a physical problem and not from anxiety but I'll keep an eye on her. Thank you very very much for your input. I truly appreciate it.

I'm pleased to hear that she'll be under the care of a specialist veterinary internist (www.acvim.org). It would be prudent to have a narcotic analgesic at home for you to administer should she have another "attack". Nellie's vet can prescribe such a drug. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I will do that I will let you know after I see the vet on the 26th. Hopefully no more attacks and we can finally get this treated and taken care of. I don't know if they remove the gallbladder on a dog or not but I will check with him. I'll let you know how we make out thanks again.

They can, yes. You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.