Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a two and a half year old golden. Her sternum

Hello. My dog is...

Hello. My dog is a two and a half year old golden. Her sternum seems to be pronounced and has a few round lumps on both sides. Left a little bigger. Took her to the vet and he said fat pads. I'm still uneasy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Rosi

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Are the lumps below or above the skin?

2- Can you describe what you mean by having a pronounced sternum?

Yes, I am here. I am looking at the pictures. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the sternum being pronounced is the result of the lump. The lump is under the skin and it will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying type. Can it be a fatty tumor? Yes, especially if your vet felt it and said that it feels like a fatty tumor. But, if you are not satisfied with your vet's assessment I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Would you as a vet be concerned
There is one on both sides but the one side seems maybe a little bigger. Are there lumph nodes here

No, those are not lymph nodes.

If another veterinarian felt it and said it feels like a lipoma (fatty tumor) I would not be concerned.

The difference in size is of no significant importance.

I'm freaking out tonite and an emergency vet is an hour away. Is that a common place for cancer? He did not do an aspiration.

Friend, this is not an emergency and no reason to get overly stressed. It is likely a lipoma, but, for your peace of mind discuss with your vet about doing an FNA as we discussed before. I would not be worried if I were you.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started