Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had rectal prolapse surgery as a pup and now something…

Customer Question
She had rectal prolapse...

She had rectal prolapse surgery as a pup and now something red is sticking out of her bottom

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She seems fine other than that

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Her bottom. a little blood came out but she is not bleeding anymore . just has a red thing sticking out of her bottom

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Just the red protrusion from her rectum

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

She seems ok . she may be a littles trained pooping I give her duck jerky as a treat. wonder if they bother her

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Juliette. Lab mix and she is 2.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Juliette?

She is healthy otherwise

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Juliette. The red thing represents rectal prolapse once again if her "bottom" refers to her anus rather than her vulva. This needs to be replaced as soon as possible lest the exposed tissue dries and necroses (dies). A significant prolapse can also become badly traumatized necessitating surgical removal. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian