Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a nine-year-old 4 pound Chihuahua for the last two…

I have a nine-year-old...

I have a nine-year-old 4 pound Chihuahua for the last two months he has been so skittish and has a lot of anxiety shaking which I know is something that he’s done before but he’s waking me up in the middle of night shaking so bad I have to hold him and he’s afraid of everything which he never watches this is just been recently

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?

He just is so panicked he will only stay by my feet.It’s worse in the morning if I put him down he just want to stay right by me won’t move It’s worse in the morning if I put him down he just want to stay right by me won’t move

3/15/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your chihuahua is having anxiety. There could be a few different causes for this (and maybe more than one is going on at the same time). First, his senses of hearing and sight may be declining due to old age, which makes him anxious about his environment. He may also be developing cognitive canine dysfunction (senility) which cause him to be confused and anxious. Another possibility is that there is something metabolic going on that is causing him not to feel well. Older dogs can develop conditions such as kidney and liver disease, diabetes, and hypothyroidism, among other things. I recommend getting some lab work done to screen for these conditions, as well as a trial of anti-anxiety medication. If your vet determines that he is having cognitive dysfunction, they can try a medication called Anipryl to treat it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so very much for responds I will have his vet check him soon as possible!
Thank you Cheryl

You're welcome. Good luck with him. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you have been extremely helpful how do I do the five star rating

Thank you!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian