Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been having loose stools for the past 2 days. I'm…

She has been having...

She has been having loose stools for the past 2 days. I'm thinking it might be the food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Golden lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes it is my labrador retriever

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Golden's name?

Klohe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Wanted to know what i can do about her loose stools for the past two days

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Golden?

She has a small rash on her belly by her left hind leg

3/15/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Klohe. Please give me time to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Diarrhea is actually not that uncommon in dogs and while her food may be responsible, there are other possibilities as well which range from viral/bacterial infections to IBD to dietary indiscretion to internal parasites...just to name a few examples.

But, if she's otherwise acting fine, the following suggestions may return her stools to normal without a vet visit.

1. Feed a bland diet of 1 part boiled, boneless, skinless chicken breast (or boiled lean hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount at one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food.

Once the stools start to firm up (if they do, of course), then slowly transition over to the food you normally feed: 25% bland and 75% regular for 3-4 days, then 50/50 for a few days and then 75/25 for a few days and then 100% regular food.

2. If she is not currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products and is not vomiting, then you can give Regular Strength Pepto Bismol. The dose would be 1 teaspoon per 5-10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

3. I'd start a good quality, canine probiotic such as FortiFlora or Resources Protegrity GI. These products can be extremely useful for gastrointestinal issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well). They may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

4. Increase water consumption to help prevent dehydration. You can offer Pedialyte (although some dogs don't like the taste of it) which can help to replace electrolytes lost in the diarrhea.

It is possible that she will need stronger anti-diarrhe drugs from your vet if the stool doesn't start to firm up within a day or so; in that case, I might have her seen.

As far as the rash on her abdomen, you can apply a small amount of otc antibacterial ointment or cream on it...Bacitracyn, Neosporin, Neomycin, etc..several times a day. It won't cause harm if she licks it off but it won't be effective if she does.

I hope this helps, Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Klohe. How is she doing? Deb

thank you very much for the advice it was truly helpful.

You're welcome; I hope she's doing better. Take care, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian