Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

After a walk or getting up after sleeping she limps but

Customer Question
After a walk or...

After a walk or getting up after sleeping she limps but within 5 min or less she is walking on that leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Maggie 6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

No very healthy she is a lab

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Maggie.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Of course, I can't know for sure but when my patients behave as you're describing, then arthritis is the most common cause for this behavior.

While she might seem a little young for this condition, it can affect dogs at any age, especially certain breeds (such as Labs since they're so frequently affected with this problem). X-rays can be taken although response to therapy can also help to confirm it.

1. As long as she's not vomiting nor currently taking any steroids of nsaid medication, Aspirin can be given at a dose of 5-10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. Some patients will require stronger drugs which would need to be dispensed by your vet but if the condition is fairly mild, then Aspirin will usually be of benefit.

2. For one week or so, walk her on a leash when she's outside and don't exercise her. I know this may be difficult if she's used to walking but this sort of activity can exacerbate these conditions especially if her walks are long one. Moderate exercise is important but too much can cause pain and inflammation.

3. I have a list of supplements which I suggest for my patients; I can provide them in another reply if you'd like. Just let me know.

If there's no response to rest and Aspirin, then a vet visit might be a good thing to do; a hand's on physical may reveal or detect an issue.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian