Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My staff is 14 years old and has been on her period for 2…

My staff is 14...

My staff is 14 years old and has been on her period for 2 weeks she stopped for a couple of days and now is bleeding again her bed was soaked with light coloured blood and smelled really bad also very l lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Ellie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?

She has loads of lumps on her body the vet said they were fatty tissues

3/15/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. I'm sorry to hear Ellie has been experiencing this.

Generally, when a dog has bloody discharge for this long it is probably not due to her being in heat anymore. My concern would be she has a uterine infection (pyometra) or a uterine tumor. The pyometra can become rapidly life threatening. Therefore, she would be best served by having her examined by her veterinarian. Be expecting some imaging, especially an ultrasound to visualize her uterus and ovaries.

Thank you
I am going to take her to the vets first thing tomorrow

If this is pyometra then surgery will fix it.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

**Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Sad to say we lost her due to a mass in her uterus and in her tummy we are devastated she was a gentle beautiful part of our family

I am so sad to hear this. She sounds to have been well loved and will be missed.