Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is sick, he want eat drink and he’s just laying around he is…

Customer Question
Hey is sick...

Hey is sick , he want eat drink and he’s just laying around he is about 6 months old he hasn’t had his shots yet and my local vet will not see him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

He’s also throwing up clear liquid.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

His name is Fatboy.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. I am sorry to hear Fatboy is more lethargic than normal.

Why will your local vet not see him? Is it that they do not have a time you can make? Or are there financial constraints that are prohibiting such a visit? A dog of his age who is lethargic is very much best served if seen.

All that said, what symptoms does he have other than lethargy? (vomiting, diarrhea, coughing/sneezing, pale gums, painful abdomen, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They don’t have a open appointment until April , He is Vomiting .

That's quite unbelievable. When it is an emergency like this he needs to be seen. You may want to seek out a different vet or have her seen at your local emergency clinic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I e tried the next closest vet is 3 hours away ,is their any way you could help ?

I am not sure. Primarily because I do not know what is going on. Lethargy could be so many underlying problems ranging from anemia (low red blood cells) to infection (viral, bacterial, fungal) to ingestion of unusual item to toxicity and the list continues. So, I am not sure what I can recommend you do because he has no other signs to try to narrow down the list. If he breaks with vomiting/diarrhea especially if bloody then I worry he has a viral infection like parvovirus (this can start as lethargy) because he is not vaccinated (easily preventable). About the best you can do is keep his food and water close and tempt him to eat.

I am going to opt out because I am truly not able to offer any suggestions since I am not sure what is going on. Maybe another vet online can help you. I'm sorry.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified