Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Cavashon dog in the last couple days, yelps when I lift…

Thanks, ***** ***** dog...

Thanks, ***** ***** dog in the last couple days, yelps when I lift him up. Today was worse. He yelps randomly while he lays on the couch He does not want to climb the stairs, and sometimes his back half is shivering. I can't determine where he's in pain.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Oliver

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?

No, He's generally very bouncy and happy to see me when I come home. not today

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is Oliver?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

9 years old. no pre-existing conditions. Yesterday showed a hard stool, following with a little diarrhea, in the same sitting.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

no thanks, ***** ***** phone call
one more thing, a few months ago, Oliver had an issue with "jaw chattering", haven't figured out what that was, but I changed his food to no grain, Iams brand. It eventually went away, but the last few days, I noticed it again.

Friend, Oliver's lethargy could be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that he is reluctant to jump and shaking in the back legs it is likely that he could have a neuromuscular problem like arthritis or a pinched nerve along the back. Could there be other causes? Yes, sometimes dogs with abdominal disorders can behave in a similar manner. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination, I am sorry. Olver will need to see a veterinarian for a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Do not give over the counter pain medication most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you Dr. Peter.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
I haven't taken Oliver to the vet yet. It seemed he was better and today I decided to wait and see, but this eve, he seems to be hurting more. I really don't want a big bill:( Our local shelter doesn't offer vet services. Can you give me an idea what a visit with x rays and blood tests would cost? If he doesn't seem better by Wed., I will be free and can take him in.

Hello, again. Cost vary tremendously between cities and vet practices. But, on average for blood work and x-rays you are looking 3-400 dollars.

Thanks

You're welcome. :)