Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a male Beagle born 09-05-08 he just got diagnosed…

I have a male...

I have a male Beagle born 09-05-08 he just got diagnosed with disc injury in spine, paralysis in both legs,no standing carrying only. He's on lots of medication for pain, muscle relaxers, stomach meds,,and prednisone. He can now raise and move left paw ,head and neck. He can lock from a bowl. He started bloody diarrhea with blood clots yesterday. He urinate fine and drinks plenty of water.help his vet can't see hom again for several hundred dollars until possibly tomorrow, but has to sit and wait in lobby, not good for him due to sparatic diarrhea.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Roscoe 9 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roscoe?

He's not lathargic, lots of panting with tongue hanging out,right now asleep and of course snoring

3/15/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Roscoe. You appear to be seeing the gastrointestinal ulceration that can arise with glucocorticoid (steroid) administration. You must stop dosing him with the prednisone. Hopefully his "stomach meds" are an antacid such as one of the proton pump antacids (omeprazole/Prilosec is most common) and sucralfate (a liquid bandage for the GI tract). Please let me know if that's the case.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Famotidine, and he's also on robaxin, and tramadol .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He only had famotidine this morning, no pain he's quiet. You can see his muscles trembling in legs.

Thank you. Recent studies have shown that famotidine (and ranitidine) doesn't increase the stomach pH as much as we once thought. It would be best to begin giving Roscoe the more potent and long-lasting omeprazole (Prilosec and generics) which you can find over the counter. Dosing is 0.25 - 0.5 mg/lb once daily rounded to the nearest 5 mg. Please let his vet know what you're seeing and doing. There's no contraindication to either methocarbamol (Robaxin) or tramadol. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the bright red blood and clots as diarrhea.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe all this tarter from his constant ear and feet infection

The bleeding indicates gastrointestinal ulceration due to the prednisone. I don't see a relationship between intervertebral disk disease and ear/feet infections. Please clarify.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it okay to let him have boiled chicken and rice; bland diet and what about the other medications, discontinue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will my dog be able to walk anymore, he can roll to one side and back no standing, carried only.

Certainly. Only prednisone needs to be discontinued and his vet notified that you did so. Here's what you need to know concerning his prognosis:

The most important prognostic indicator is the presence or absence of nociception (deep pain perception) in his hind legs. This assessment is always subjective but apparent loss of sensation suggests the possibility for permanent paralysis regardless of treatment. Approximately 50% of dogs in this condition recover with decompressive surgery.

Approximately 90-97% of dogs with intact nociception, even if they're paraplegic or tetraplegic recover fully or nearly fully with surgical decompression. However, the time frame for recovery is extremely variable - a few days to many weeks or months.

With nonsurgical treatment about 85% of ambulatory dogs and 50% of non-ambulatory (but retaining pain perception) dogs ultimately recover but recovery can be quite protracted - weeks to months.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks For Your expertise

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do that, now Roscoe is calling me.

I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian