Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 11-12 year old with skin issues - yeast. She’s…

My dog is a 11-12...
My dog is a 11-12 year old with skin issues - yeast. She’s been licking and biting underneath her front left paw and it’s almost raw. Any recommendations on how to clean or dress it? She does not let me look or touch her paw for a minute. I know she needs a steroid shot probably but I hate taking her to vet if there is something I can do at home.
3/15/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! Your dog is so cute! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I recommend getting some over-the-counter anti-fungal cream and applying it to the paw. To keep her from licking the paw, I would get an E-collar for her from the pet store (make sure it reaches past her nose so she can't get to her paw. You can treat any itchiness with some over-the-counter benadryl - about how much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs about 55- 60 pounds. Thank you! I will go today. Oh lord she is going to hate the collar but I had a feeling it was possibly needed Bc she won’t quit licking it and it’s raw and I know it hurts her when she walks on it.

Okay, you can give her 2-4 tablets of 25 mg Benadryl to help with the itching. I hope she feels better soon! If I've been helpful I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!! You have been very helpful! I’ll rate you now doc! Thanks again ��
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian