Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her left hind hip area has a large swelling our vet is

Her left hind hip...

Her left hind hip area has a large swelling our vet is aware...lab 8 yrs old ...she just to today stopped being able to jump on the bed or couch and is finally on the couch but whining

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Tasha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tasha?

She has had other small lumps butbrhisbonebia quite large. This is about 5 months we have been monitoring

3/15/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

How much has this swelling been investigated; in other words, has it been needle aspirated and the aspirate examined microscopically? Needle biopsied? X-rayed or ulstrasounded? My primary concerns are that it might be so large as to mechanically interfere with Tasha's movements or represents an invasive malignancy causing her considerable pain at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Our messages may have crossed. Please let me know if you can see my post timestamped 11:51 (my time).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Haven't seen anything other than your name and asking me to wait while you type...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok see your reply

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Our vet had advised against Anita laceration because it was relatively large and she's had to others that came back benign that were smaller and said just watch it if it changes or she changes her eating or movement to let me know and today was a pretty obvious change so um I was just researching it before I go figure out how much money would have to spend chasm and
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We were talking about getting a scan... I'm probly gonna make the appointment I just was surprised to see suddenly she just couldn't jump on the couch or the bed and was whining about it....

Thank you for the additional information. Your biggest bang for the buck is to first have your vet perform a deep needle aspirate/biopsy. The tissue retrieved is then examined by the vet or our pathologist. Once you know what that swelling represents you'll know better how to proceed. Anesthesia isn't needed and the process takes only a few minutes. A scan is most useful when we're concerned that bone may be invaded by a cancer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thank you... The reason our redhead not been intrested in an aspiration was the space of the mass was pretty large and she said if I take out something from here and it's fine but over there it's not she led me to believe that it would be rather inefficient given its size....
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was why she talked about a skin or something so that we could have a better idea but said to wait until something changed like changing in the way she eats or movement or whatever I'm headed out a have a for clock a point in and I can't keep chatting but thank you very much I'm gonna be

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we had an appointment and she got a set of exrays...the vet thinks for the moment it is soft tissue related (muscle or ligament strain...suggested rest and put her on meds...she spent a lot of time looking at the hip mass (same vet who has been monitoring for a while and said not ready yet to spend on scan or aspiration...if in two weeks after rest and meds situation still same we will have to investigate...but she really did feel was based on the way it felt not to be some sort of thing to worry about yet....thank you.

Thank you for the additional information and your kind accept. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian