Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just moved to Huntersville. Emma is our doggy. We are

Customer Question
Hi I am Linda...

Hi I am Linda Frontauria and just moved to Huntersville. Emma is our doggy. We are hunting a new Dr. for her. She has an ear infection and needs her rabies shot. She just had a physical and shots updated a couple months ago. Could you treat her without having the complete physical. I sent to Needham Animal Hospital in Wilmington for her records. Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the doggy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the doggy's name?

She is Emma and is a Aussie/Doodle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the doggy?

No she is healthy. Just needs a good grooming which could have contributed to the infection maybe. We have been busy tring to move so now I have to find her a new groomer also.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, Linda. I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Emma.

I can provide several otc treatment options for ear infections in general which may be helpful. Please give me time to type back a response for you. Deb

There are several things you can do for her at home to see if you can resolve this problem without a vet visit.

1. Cleaning them with a product specifically designed for this purpose is a first good step; I would clean them once/day for at least 7-10 days.

You can purchase ear cleaners at most pet or grain stores. Or you can use 50/50 white vinegar and water. Bacterial and yeast don't like an acid environment which is why this solution may help but it doesn't loosen up the wax as well as an ear cleaner would do.

2. Ear infections are usually secondary to either a bacterial or yeast overgrowth; you won't necessarily be able to tell which is it just by looking,....or even smelling for that matter.

If yeast is involved (usually the material in the ear is black and dark), then you can try over the counter Clotrimazole which is available at human pharmacies. This is not a dog product but a human one.

If bacterial (usually the material is more yellowish in color), then you can use over the counter anti-bacterial products such as you would use on a wound for yourself...neomycin, bacitracin, neosporin, for example.

Zymox is another acceptable product which may be of benefit regardless of whether this is a yeast or bacterial infection: http://www.zymox.net/

Ears should be treated twice a day for 7-10 days.

If the ears appear more inflamed when you're using the products, then they may be causing a drug reaction and the products should be discontinued.

This is a good link that provides pictures of the above procedures. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1569
This is another link that discusses underlying causes of many ear infections. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=632

If you don't see improvement within just a few days and/or they worsen, then you may need to find a vet in your area sooner rather than later. Perhaps your new neighbors will have a suggestion or you could call around to local groomers or boarding facilities for names of vets they'd recommend.

I hope this helps, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian