Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Maltese 15 plus years with heart valve prlblem & trachea…

Customer Question
Maltese 15 plus...

Maltese 15 plus years with heart valve prlblem & trachea problem.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Webt to cardiologist a week ago. Was given sedative &

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Wouldn't wake fully up for 24 hours then would barely & refused. Med.'s

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Had respirtorhy difficult on Sundays. 1st took to urgent cate

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

To get meds in him. Got siomr. Then later brought him back due to respiratory distress.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Just to make sure I understand, when was your dog given the sedative? And are you giving him any heart medications?

Ok, I didn't finish. He received the sedative last Friday 3/9/18. Unfortunately the urgent care enc us to put him to sleep due to expected repeat episodes of respiratory distress. We were under a lot of stress & not thinking of all possibilities & caved & allowed him to be out to sleep. Spoke to cardiologist who wished we would have brought him to him.
Do you think the sedative put him on a downward spiral? We are racked with guilt & grief.
He did fall on right side off couch due to trying to get comfortable. I got there at tail end of fall & put my hand under his right are close to his head to buffer the fall.
That is my #

I'm sorry, I am not available to talk on the phone right now. Would you mind continuing our conversation here?

is my private #. When should I expect a call?

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't let you finish. I am very sorry for your loss. Do you know what sedative was used? Some can have negative effects on cardiovascular function, but given his heart problems, I would think the vet that prescribed the sedative would take that into account and give a sedative that did not affect the heart. Assuming that, I doubt the sedation was responsible for his downward spiral. It sounds like he was in congestive heart failure, where fluid backs up in the lungs because the heart is not able to pump adequately. Sometimes giving a diuretic helps to clear the lungs and keeps the patient feeling comfortable a little longer, but not much longer. Ultimately, they all succumb to the heart failure when it gets bad enough. I am so sorry this happened.

I appreciate the response. His lungs where clear & blood work good in Friday 3/9/18. We think it was the trachea collapseing. Do you think that was what was causing respiratory distress?

Yes, the collapsing trachea could have sent him into acute respiratory distress that was the sole cause, or a contributing factor, to his distress.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel