Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 lb. Dog chewed a 75mg HCL ER effector in half. She

Customer Question
ingested half of the actual...
My 8 lb. Dog chewed a 75mg HCL ER effector in half. She ingested half of the actual capsule container & half of content.wjat should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Did you mean Effexor XR (generic name Venlafaxine) ?

Do you have any fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

This is an antidepressant in the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor class

If she just ate this it's worth trying to get her to vomit them back up.

You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide directly with a medicine syringe or turkey baster, or soaked up with bread chunks or mixed with ice cream.

Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would be pleased if she vomits until she is dry heaving or vomiting mucous only as that likely means the content of the pill is present.

We see toxicity signs at 2mg to 3mg per kilogram of body weight.

She is 8 pounds which is 3.63kgs (8lbs/2.2lbs per kg = 3.63kgs). If she ate 1/2 the contents she ingested 37.5mgs, so she ate 10.33mgs per kilogram, well above a toxic dose. (37.5mgs/3.63kgs = 10.33mgs per kg)

I would expect side effects of extreme agitation, and at a dose of 35mg per kilogram we can see seizures.

If you don't have peroxide then get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

You should see signs of toxicity some time within 30 minutes to 6 hours after ingestion.

At the emergency clinic they can also give her activated charcoal to minimize any leftover pill ingestion and fluids to flush the toxin out of her body as well as drugs to treat hyperexcitability, tremors or seizures should they occur.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

It has been my pleasure to help you, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hi Tammy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lulu. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian