Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with meningoencephalitis ten days ago.

Customer Question
she was seen by a...
My dog was diagnosed with meningoencephalitis ten days ago. she was seen by a neurologist and they did a brain mri and spinal tap which showed some inflammation in the middle brain. she was started on valium and steroids and the balance issues, head tremors and circling stopped. she was started on 10 mg of steroids twice a day for five days and is now on her 4th day of just 5 mg twice a day. she is not her usual self still, she Is only 2 and loves to play. she has no interest in playing anymore and I don't even see her cleaning her self anymore. I am concerned that whatever she has could be the cause after the vet said that being lethargic is not usually from steroids. the neurologist is almost two hours away so I have to rely on communicating over the phone.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I"m sorry to hear she is not feeling well. Did your vet prescribe any antibiotics?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Honestly, that is surprising to me because the inflammation may be caused by a bacterial infection. If it is, the steroids could be making things worse. It's possible that he does need steroids to treat inflammation, but he will get worse if there is a bacterial infection and he is not being treated with antibiotics. I would ask your vet about getting him on some antibiotic therapy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked that. She’s saw a neurologist so I assumed he knew what he’s talking about

Okay, good. It is possible that she still needs the higher dose of prednisone for a while. I would ask your vet about keeping her on her starting dose a while longer. Steroids can also be irritating to the lining of the stomach. To treat for potential acid reflux, you can give her some over-the-counter Pepcid. About how much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh she has no problem with appetite! No stomach issues. She keeps eating dead dried up worms in the yard. I try to stop her but she’s a beagle. Is this normal?

Okay, I am glad to hear she's eating. I wouldn't worry about her eating dead worms - as you say she's a beagle :) My advice is to see if she should remain on the higher dose of prednisone a bit longer, since she was doing well on it before.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian