Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a cone on, but he used his back paw to rip out a…

Customer Question
My dog had a...

My dog had a cone on, but he used his back paw to rip out a drainage tube, then he ate it. This happen in seconds. What should I do. It's been 9 days since his surgery. Will he poop it out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Farley

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Farley. How big a dog is he, and how long was the drain?

In my experience, swallowing one of these drains is not a problem; I have not seen it cause a blockage and it does pass. If he is a tiny dog and it was a 12 inch drain, I might be concerned.

I did not hear back from you. How is Farley doing?

Was this helpful; do you have any other questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?