Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husky puked up some blood this morning. Nothing major but…

My husky puked up...

My husky puked up some blood this morning. Nothing major but it was specks or small clots of blood in mostly mucus. He had done it once before but that was after he puked up his food first then 30-45 minutes later he started dry heaving and thats what came out. This morning, i had left for work already and I got a text with a picture showing the same thing as I saw before. The last time was ~1month ago and I attributed that to his dry heaving. This time, I am not sure. A small sharp bone maybe?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No. We trained him well. He doesnt get into anything he shouldnt. We can leave anything out and he wont touch it. He only chews on his bones. We get raw bones from either our local pet shop or the butcher. Never chicken bones or cooked bones. He eats a high protein diet being mixes of dry food, wet food and raw.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?

Grey Wind and he is 1yr-7months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Hes from a registered AKC breeder, he's taller than most huskies with a lean health build. ~50-60lbs. Havent had him weighed in almost a year. Last we weighed him, he was 52lbs or so. Now he is filling out but is still built very lean. Perfect build for sled dog racing so we have been told.

3/15/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pet. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with GI upset. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian