Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps trying to poop but a clear jelly like fluid…

Customer Question
My dog keeps trying...

My dog keeps trying to poop but a clear jelly like fluid comes out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Annie, 4 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Annie?

4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Annie?

She had parvo as a puppy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She also is sluggish and doesn't really want to eat, but is drinking water
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using Just Answer. The jelly like fluid could be some mucus that you're seeing. When we see mucus this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Metamucil, 1 capsule on the wood twice a day, which is a fiber supplement that can help. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help as well. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian