Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My elderly pug is at the end of his life-we planned to

My elderly pug is...

My elderly pug is at the end of his life-we planned to euthenize him within the next day or so because of issues with his legs and immobility. This afternoon he started coughing/hacking/gasping and it got worse after he got up from sleeping this evening, with spells of relief. We have been told in the past that he likely has a collapsing trachea and chronic lung issues (taking theophylline). I want to try and give him some relief from the cough so he can be comfortable for the next 12 or so hours until we are able to get to a vet. I have children's mucinex and would like to know if I can give it to him, and if so how much. He is about 25 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Rocky. This has nothing to do with lethargy.

3/15/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Rocky has been coughing that is not allowing him to get comfortable. I am sorry to hear about what is happening with Rocky, You have Mucinex that you would like to give. Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm wondering if it is worth a try. He is having spells of sort of coughing/gagging that is worse than anything he's had in the past. I have children's mucinex cough suppressant/expectorant

Guaifenesin is mostly used as an expectorant, meaning it is used to remove mucus from the lower airways. It can also relax muscles in the larynx, so that will give some relief for a cough. It will be pretty minimal relief for cough and if the cough is mostly dry sounding then it will not be of the benefit that you are seeking for him. Robitussin DM has an ingredient that focuses more on suppressing the cough reflex. That would be more appropriate for a dry / unproductive cough. Also, using a nebulizer would help as well if you happen to have one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The bottle says it contains the same ingredients as robitussin DM. Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin. When it happens he sound horrible. But it stops and he has breaks where he rests comfortably ... it is very weird and scary. I'm tempted to bring him to the emergency vet, but I'm hoping we can wait until tomorrow when a home visit is scheduled.

Oh, that's great. Mucinex is traditionally just the guaifenesin, so this must be a combination product. I think that will do for you then.

I would like to give you a dose. Do you know how many milligrams of each are in a teaspoon or tablet (whatever form it comes in)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it says 5mg dextromethorphan HBr and 100mg guaifenesin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's a liquid

It looks like the dose is per teaspoon (i.e. 5 mL). Therefore, the dose we typically recommend at the body weight you provided is 1/4-1/2 teaspoon. That can be given every 8-12 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian