Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab, 10 years old, still active, has one half of his

My white lab, 10...

My white lab, 10 years old, still active, has one half of his head/skull caving in severely. Only medicine I give him now is for his joints and fish-oil and some meds for low thyroid. Please help; can it be cured/reversed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

His half of his skull is caved in and you can see his fur just pulled over his skeleton. I think at his age the only disability he has so far is slightly poor eyesight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Can't tell the dog hurts as he doesn't make sounds like hurting. name is ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. How old is Janet?

Dog is Snowball - age 10 or 11...(white lab). My name is*****: What is the dog's name and age?

Snowball is 10 or 11. My name is ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snowball?

Of course he is loved and we are concerned. He is my mother's important companion ; mom is 88. Snowball is part lab, part corgie with little legs. very cute.

3/15/2018
Heath Wilkerson

HI Dr. W here I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have a pic?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OH GEE Didn't think to take a picture. Do you have to have it now or can you get it tomorrow? Sorry.

My internet is going in and out, so I'm going to go ahead and give you some information here. If you have a pic, though please go ahead and send it when you can.

This sounds most like Horner's Syndrome or Trigeminal neuritis, Masticatory Myositis. Common neurological disorders of the eye and facial muscles. Is one pupil constricted. Does one eye appears sunken and possibly a red membrane present at the bottom of the eye? The muscles on one side of the head appear to be sunken in or even absent compared to the other side?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I call tomorrow and have a picture of him ready and continue this more efficiently? Will it cost another $5. That's ok, but I can talk on the phone then. What in the world is your phone number?

Sorry tomorrow I will be out of town, but you will be able to request a phone call from someone else tomorrow. I think phone calls usually cost around $14-$15 extra by the way.

So I will try to help you as much as I can here, then you can decided tomorrow.

These types of disorders can sometimes be treated effectively. The key is to identify what caused them and to identify it early. So, your best bet will be to have the pet seen by a vet soon. Let them run a few tests, and then decided which medications to try (possibly steroids for example). That will be the best way to see what is going on and if medications will help or not.

I do hope this helps you plan your next step, and I wish you all the best!!! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please remember to press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I will be online today but not tomorrow, by the way.

Heath Wilkerson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've saved these notes. Will call back with picture and fill in another vet where we got to. Thanks so much. Cost is nominal. Thanks.
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson