Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can my kitty have. Half a zertic?. I think he might have a…

Can my kitty have...

Can my kitty have. Half a zertic?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?

I think he might have a flea allergy? I quit using revolution when one of my cats reacted to it last August. My vet says jack is too fat and can’t scratch himself, so he’s overcompensating on the area he can reach. Also, try him on 1/2 Benadryl. Another vet said, not Benadryl, Zyrtec. I’m confused.

3/15/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm so sorry to hear about Jack. Allergies can be so frustrating. I am working on a response and will be back shortly. How much does Jack weigh?
18 lbs
When he was
there are a number of different antihistamines I can be used. The answer is that both Benadryl and Zyrtec are good options as well as Claritin. Do not give Zyrtec or Claritin D with a decongestant. Sometimes antihistamines can be helpful however if a cat has a severe flea bite dermatitis or a severe allergy than sometimes antihistamines just are not strong enough and we have to resort to a steroid injection and a possible antibiotic injection if there is secondary infection. Obviously taking care of the flea issue is a priority. So based on his weight you could give him a half of an adult Benadryl every 8 to 12 hours. Or you could give 5mg of Zyrtec or Claritin every 24 hours.
that can be used
I'm sorry I'm not in a place where I can take a phone call right now. If you don't mind I would still like to continue messaging and helping you if that is okay. If you would prefer to have another expert help you I can certainly opt out otherwise we can continue this conversation as long as needed.
These are usually the three antihistamines that I start with. There is not one that I can say works better than the other it really is just based on the pet and the severity of the allergic issue. Do you feel like he is severely allergic?
I’m afraid to use revolution. I’m also afraid to try Zyrtec or Benadryl on him for a few days bcause I’m getting two different answers.
On his two front paws and his rear hone quarter, it looks like you would have shaved his hair. It’s not infected yet, but he kelps nibbling at it.
When he was six months old, his leg was removed in one side because he was born with half a leg. He flatlined, but got him back. He’s 11 years old now and I’m freaked out over using anything. He’s obviously miserable.
Which of the two meds do you suggest I’ds safer until I take him back to his vet.
Anyway to attach a picture?
I guess I'm a little confused as to what information you are getting. Benadryl and Zyrtec are routinely used in our feline patients. There's even a article about why people love Zyrtec and Feline patients. All of those products are very safe to use and cats and honestly, knock on wood, I have never seen an adverse reaction to any of those products in 12 years of practice. It doesn't sound like he is causing an infection so that is good. I understand your concern as it sounds like he has been through a lot. Obviously I cannot tell you with a hundred percent confidence if he will have a reaction or not, that is impossible. However the alternative, if you don't use antihistamines and Revolution would be stronger medications like steroids which have much more adverse side effects. I guess I would probably start with the Zyrtec since its dosed at once daily and might be easier to administer.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson, ER/ICU & Exotic Animal Veterinarian
Phone call session started
Any way to attach a picture so you can see his issue?
you can attach a picture. There's a little icon in the box where you make your comments. This allows you to attach a photo if you would like to try.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week, so please keep me posted and let me know how he is doing. Sincerely ***** *****
I would like to try. Give me a second to get one.
Are you there?
Guess I am here just typing up a question.
I got the picture. It does not look like the skin is infected at all but he is definitely itchy and irritated. I would certainly recommend that you use the revolution and also try the antihistamine to see if it helps calm him down. A revolution is such a safe product. Honestly we actually have been using other flea products such as bravecto as sometimes we don't get good coverage with the revolution. I think Revolution would be the safest option in your situation.
Ok. So, it does seem like a flea issue. I guess, I better get the rest of the kitties on it as well, except for the one who got sick the last time. I do have some here. I will give him the 1/2 Zyrtec tonight snd when I get home tomorrow from work, administer 1/2 the dose and see what he does and finish the second half the next night. Since August, I assume it’s all out if his system, as well as the other kitties. I’m so scared to do this, but I’ll do half and half so it’s not such a shock to his system. I get home at 6:00, so by ten tomorrow night I should see any reaction?
the only thing that you could possibly see is a little bit of sleepiness. But yes you should see something by that time. I hope that information helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a good night. Sincerely ***** *****
Thank you so much. Good night.
I just wanted to check in and see how things were going. Have you had the opportunity to try the medication?
You were correct. Fleas.