Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I came across this while searching for dasuquin overdose…

I came across this...

I came across this while searching for dasuquin overdose issues. Are you a consultation service?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

My dog ate 84 Dasuquin soft chews about an hour and a half ago. He’s 48 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Wally

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wally?

He’s 13+ years old.

3/15/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

The chances are that Wally will come through this OK, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If this is likely to have occurred within the last couple of hours then you may want to induce vomiting to recover some of the Dasuquin as a precaution. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best. : LINK

2. The good news is that Glucosamine and the other ingredients of Dasuquin are more of a food supplement than a drug and as such have a very high margin of safety, from what I have read all you would be likely to see in your dog's situation would be a minor transient episode of vomiting and/or diarrhoea and that long-term effects would be very unlikely indeed. I will give you a few tips on how to handle things if he should suffer a minor tummy upset.

3. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

4. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

5. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Wally's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?