Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I found my dog chewing a pill bottle - it is missing 11 of…

Hi, I found my...

Hi, I found my dog chewing a pill bottle - it is missing 11 of 25mg Lamictal. She is a 45lb border collie mix, up to date on all her shots. I’m unsure what to do at this time for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Rebel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rebel?

She is 45lbs, has all her shots. She is as happy as usual, and not acting at all different

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Approximately 2.5hrs ago

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As more than two hours has passed it is now too late to recover these drugs by inducing vomiting, all you can do is to monitor Rebel carefully and then take her to an ER vet at the first sign of adverse symptoms. Symptoms generally start 4-12 hours after ingestion and can last for 24-48 hours. But given the nature of this drug it may be best to take her to an ER vet right now just to be on the safe side. They can give her the likes of activated charcoal now and then monitor her over the next 24 hours.

2. My concern is that this drug is not well tolerated in dogs and if she swallowed eleven then this would be quite an overdose. This drug can cause serious heart rhythm abnormalities in dogs, cardiac arrest, seizures, which can become intractable. We can see signs of toxicity such as lethargy with doses as low 1.5 mg per pound of body weight and cardiac symptoms with doses as low as 9 mg per pound of body weight. { Your dog took 6.11 mg / per pound if all eleven were swallowed. }

However, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Rebel's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you VERY much Dr. Scott! I will be monitoring her closely.She’s currently on my lap, wanting her nightly biscuit prior to bed time. As of now her breathing and heart rate are normal.I will be certain to take her to her regular veterinarian in the morning, if not the 24hr one if she worsens.I know that this drug dissolves very easily and the bottle was quite shredded. (She has a taste for plastic which is making me feel worse, as we’ve been working on not eating everything in site.)I’m sorry, I prattled. Thank you Again beyond words!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I am just checking back in to see how Rebel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Lamictal issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello!Rebel is doing great. She has been her typical bundle of energy and playing with her kitty sister.I stayed up last night monitoring her, her heartbeat remained calm and steady. No vomiting occurred.Thank you for your advice and help. I truly appreciate it!

Brilliant! I am so glad Rebel came through this OK, I was wondering how she was doing ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian