Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's a 10 month old lab mutt. She had her first heat last…

She's a 10 month...

She's a 10 month old lab mutt. She had her first heat last month but I'm noticing a little bit of pinkish discharge dripping from her vagina again. She vomited yesterday but I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

I'm not sure what she ate, it looked like pasta but nobody in the house said they had eaten any so I'm puzzled

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

10 months, her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Autumn?

She's typically really healthy, she's been a bit more lazy lately but I've thought it was because of her being done with her heat

3/15/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your dog. The vomiting could very well be hormonal, it's hard to say over the internet for sure and it would be hard to know what she ate for sure as well. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with vomiting. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take your pet to the vet for an xray tomorrow.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

I'm not so concerned about the vomiting, I just want to be sure it's ok that she seems to be having this discharge again since she had her heat and bled in early February

Ok, thank you for that information. Is the discharge bloody and odorless?

Ok, thank you for the picture. I see that color sometimes when they have either a vaginal infection or a UTI. I would definitely get her urine checked at the vet to be sure she doesn't need any antibiotic just give the color you're describing.

ok, thank you.

You're welcome, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
I just found a little glob of period discharge near where Autumn is laying. Definitely blood this time. I don't know if that changes anything

Ok, that is good to know. I think I would see if the Famotidine and bland diet helps then and go from there then.

I think I actually remembered what was in the vomit now, it may have been small bits of corn tortilla I had given them earlier. I don't imagine that would have made her sick but that's all that was identifiable in the vomit itself. The fluid was a normal orange-clear color. Is a bland diet necessary if she only vomited once or should I wait and see if it happens again? She seems to behave normally for the most part but the past couple of days she's been really slow coming to the door when I let her and her sister outside when they normally both run to the door. She just sits on the bed and wags her tail but doesn't want to move at first. Her mom had a similar behavior after she had her first heat so I'm not sure if the behavior is due to her not feeling well or her being hormonal.

I think if she only vomiting the one time, I would wait and see how she is feeling in the morning. She very well could bounce back completely in that time frame.

Ok, I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks a lot :)