Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 6 year old lab a stray that we took in. I took him…

I have a 6...

I have a 6 year old lab a stray that we took in. I took him to the vet for shots and had him treated for heart worms. At the time he had a small lump on the left side of his neck the size of a half dollar. It was soft and you could move it. After the heart worm treatment the lump went away. 6 months later the lump was back and getting bigger. He was put on antibiotics but it did not seem to work so we elected to do surgery and have it removed. He did good with the surgery but 5 weeks later he has another knot on the back of his neck at the back of his head. Am I looking at possible cancer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the stray dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Big boy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Big?

He scratched the area where the new knot is before the swelling started. I am concerned because the lump is hard.

3/15/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

What did the biopsy results show when the lump was removed? Did it come back cancerous or noncancerous?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet did not have it checked. I am a single mom with a love for animals and it was going to cost $250 on top of the $450. For surgery. What I know is the lump removed was a lymph node. It was hard on the part that was against the skin and fleshy on the internal side. The lump weighted 4 pounds. The vet looked at the surrounding lymph nodes and saw no inflammation. I am taking him back on Friday to have the biopsy done. He acts fine eating well but he keeps trying to scratch the area. I’d like to know what my options are if the biopsy comes back positive for cancer

I see. Then I can only speculate, but with the itchiness, my educated guess would be that this is a mast cell tumor. Give 1mg/lb of benadryl every 8 hours and rub hydrocortisone cream on the lump until surgery. That can help shrink it and control the itching. Then you will just have to hope and pray that your vet gets good clean margins and that it does not come back. Good luck!

I am sorry that you are going through this with your dog! Please let me know if you have further questions.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian