Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is throwing up her food about 20 minutes after she eats.

She is throwing up...

She is throwing up her food about 20 minutes after she eats. She throws up a bunch of different places not just one pile of food. It is mostly digested.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No but we did just recently change her food. She gets a raw diet but we went to a little cheaper brand. Could it be that?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Kirby she will be 3 in May

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Kirby?

Almost 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kirby?

It also tends to be after a walk or trip to the park

3/15/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

How long ago did you change the diet?

Is she quieter than normal?

How many times has she thrown up?

What breed is she?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A week ago the diet was changed.No she is not quieter than normal. She acts the same.She threw up after breakfast this morning about 5/6 different spots.
and then this evening after dinner in about 4/5 different spots.She is a 2 1/2 year old shepherd.

Ok.

Given she is still pretty bright I would be holding off all food and water for 12 hours. Then introduce a small amount of water. Do not give her too much that she gorges on it and then vomits again. If she holds down the water then give her some boiled chicken and white rice only. Again only a small amount so she does not eat heaps and vomit. If she eats the small amount then give her some more after a while. Feed her chicken and rice ONLY for 5 days.

After 5 days slowly re-introduce the new food you have and if the vomiting recurs then it is likely to be the food.

If she vomits a few times more in the next 24 hrs that is ok. BUT if she continues to vomit every hour or so OR becomes very quite and lethargic then you need to get her to you vet.

She may get some diarrhea over the next 5 days or so and that is not as big a worry as vomiting and should settle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you

My pleasure

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian