Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog ate an entire bag of and chocolate chips. She is now…

Our dog ate an...

Our dog ate an entire bag of brownies and chocolate chips. She is now committing, we are picking up some activated charcoal. Will this help and how much to administer. She is a mid content wolf/Malimute mix. About 50-60 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Tundra and 1.5 yrs

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. Can you give me some indication of the weight of the brownies and chocolate chip cookies? { In ounces }?

Within the last 36 hours, not sure when she ingested.
Brownies 16-20 oz.
CC ??? I have no idea 8-12 oz?? I will ask the wife.

Thanks for that, typing up your answer now ...

Up to 1#8oz?? Size of the bag. Her heart rate is also high.
Are you still there?

Sure, just finishing typing up your answer, please stand by ...

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Tundra has this problem,

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any severe symptoms appear. Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment. But let's talk things over in more depth.

1. The great thing here is that you have a larger dog, so the chances of a serious chocolate toxicity would be low, and with chocolate toxicity thing are normally as bad as they are going to get some six hours after ingestion but an upset stomach would be common, I will give you a link to an accurate article which covers the use of activated charcoal in the dog { LINK } but if a gastroenteritis has already developed then there may be other ways of handling it, I will give you some tips :

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course, if more severe symptoms do arise and if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she then deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side, but hopefully this will be unlikely. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tundra's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

I was just informed that she is only 11 mo. Dose that change anything?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Eleven months of age? That should not make any difference, in fact, a young fit dog would be able to handle the situation better than an elderly one.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?