Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate a small amount of a thin plastic cup, it appears that…

Customer Question
He ate a small...

He ate a small amount of a thin plastic cup, it appears that he chewed it into tiny 1/4 inch pieces

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Gus, 1.5 years old, Pekingese

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gus?

14.5 lbs male

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/15/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Was the plastic the hard type that can have sharp edges?

2- How long has it been since he ate it?

It is hard with sharp edges and very thin. 2-3 hours
It appears to be very brittle

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, as you may already know the concern is that the pieces of plastic can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the sharp edges can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the pieces of plastic out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check his feces; if you do not find the pieces of plastic in the feces within 48 hours I would have him checked by your veterinarian.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter