Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old chocolate lab. He has multiple benign…

Hi there! I...

Hi there! I have a 13 year old chocolate lab. He has multiple benign fatty tumors. I just noticed a small sized ball of dried blood on the floor, so I checked out his anal area. He seems to have an absess or possibly a fatty tumor to the upper right of the anus that is open and has been bleeding. I've cleaned it and it's not gushing blood, but there is still blood on the surface of the opening. I've been reading about the anal glands, but those seem to be on the lower part of the anus, not the upper part.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Nothing else that I can think of. Thanks for any help you can offer.

3/15/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You appear to describing a ruptured anal gland abscess nonetheless. The swelling can appear in any direction from the anal sac gland. Can you upload a photo(s) of this wound to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

I will take pictures right now. It'll take a few minutes...Thanks for your help.

I'll watch for your next post.

Do you recall seeing a tumor there previously? This looks like a torn perianal adenoma/adenosarcoma rather than a ruptured anal sac gland abscess.

I have not seen a tumor there recently, but I can't say that I have been checking out that area often...

I understand. It would be best to have his vet take a look at this. It should be removed if only because it can continue to bleed and become infected. It's not necessarily cancerous but visually it's impossible to differentiate a perianal adenoma (benign) from a perianal adenocarcinoma (malignant). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you so much for you help. Greatly appreciated.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?