Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 12 yr old Schipperke which is diabetic. If he only…

We have a 12...

We have a 12 yr old Schipperke which is diabetic. If he only eats say, half his meal, should we still give him his full insulin shot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Our dog answers to Steppie. He's 12 yrs. old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Steppie is the dog's name.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

We know he has Cushing's disease and he has recently become blind.

3/15/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

The short answer is "no", Rather you should give half of the insulin amount.

Do we know why the drop in appetite?

Paul

No, we don't. As we live on a rural property we no longer allow him outside unless on a leash. Although we take him regularly for walks he does not get as much exercise as he did when he was sighted and allowed to run freely. Also please note that we have no mobile coverage in this area and so cannot receive SMS messages.

Okay thanks

Lets give that 1/2 dosage tonight and then re-evaluate in the AM

Okay?

Paul

Thanks Paul - we'll do that.
Elaine.

Very welcome

I will look for your update in the AM

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
To Dr. Paul,Thank you for your advice. Steppie is happy and eating well.We have a vet's script for his insulin with 2 repeats and we will source it online as, even with postage, it is considerably cheaper than from the vet.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul

Great stuff!

He's happy and eating well. Can you tell us how important it is to keep him on a regular diet. At the moment we are feeding him in the ratio of 1/3 fresh meat (chicken,kangaroo) 2/3 canned food. We wonder if we have it correct. His preference is for fresh chicken. How impotant is the inclusion of vegetables which he gets from canned food?

As long as he gets the same diet each day then his diabetes will be easy to control

Variation is the culprit NOT the actual food so much

Paul

Thanks Paul.Thanks Paul. Can we gradually change the ratio of fresh/canned? At the moment it is 60gm fresh 120gm canned. Would it be O.K. to increase fresh to 75gm,to canned 105gm?

Very welcome

And veggies are good anytime :)

Paul

Sure

As long as final diet is consistent