Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog ate a moth ball 2 nights ago. Toochie 16

I think my dog...

I think my dog ate a moth ball 2 nights ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Toochie 16 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Toochie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toochie?

No oh yes she vomited which has stopped. her urine was dark brown which then got lighter but has now returned to dark brown and she has black tarry stool. she also haven't eaten since then.

3/15/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Moth balls cause a thing called hemolytic anemia in dogs when eaten. This is where the red blood cells burst inside the blood stream. The urine color is because these fragments of the red blood cells go through the kidneys and out the urine. These fragments going through the kidneys can cause long term kidney damage without therapy. The black tarry stool also indicates that there is bleeding the stomach or small intestine.

This is serious and your dog could die from the lack of red blood cells. You really need to get them to your vet ASAP. If your vet is not open then they need to get to and ER vet ASAP. They may need a blood transfusion

OMG! I took her to a veterinarian emergency hospital the next day, they did a urine analysis which the result came back today. they stated that she had a 1+ elevated bilirubin. I've told them that she ingested the moth ball but it seems like i'm the only one that seems that this should be more urgent than they are aware of. there is vet hospital that I know of that is some ways, but I am willing to drive there. however they will be open tomorrow. do you think that may be too long?
she has been drinking water, she's not eating. I am so scared.
she's a Yorkie. she's almost 10lbs.

I agree with you - it is urgent....

How many hours until the vet opens - I am in a different time zone

8am. 12 hours from now

I think that is too long. I am worried about Toochie's kidneys and also not eating indicates she is feeling pretty unwell.

her gums appears pink. she's definitely not as active as she usually is, but she is walking, jumping and cuddling.
ooh and she is drinking water, but not eating. although earlier she had a bite of chicken
ok. I will google and see if I can find another vet hospital that I can take her to.

Good idea.

Is there anything else I can help you with before a log off?

no. that will be all. thank you for everything!!!

My pleasure I hope all goes well

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Veterinarian101
Hi there,Thank u for following up with us. I took her to a nearby emerge hospital to which they took her condition seriously as oppose to the other 2 location i took her to prior. She required oxygen for 24hrs, a blood transfusion and currently on an appetite stimulator, antibiotics bc she's febrile, a host of medication along with iv fluid for continuous hydration. Her liver enzymes are still elevated but we are praying she pulls out of this with no or minimal long term damage. THANK YOU so much!!!
I forgot to tell u, we brought her home yesterday since last week with hopes she will improve, even if slowly, we welcome it!