Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My one year old yellow lab ate a plastic baby spoon whole…

My one year old...

My one year old yellow lab ate a plastic baby spoon whole before I could get to it. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sunny and she is around 16 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunny?

I think that is it. She is a very large yellow lab.

3/14/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did he bite into it?

2- How long has it been since he ate it?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

4- How much does he weigh?

1. No just swallowed it whole.
2. She ate it 6 hours ago.
3. No peroxide.
4. 75-85 lbs

Is she showing any symptoms?

No. She is acting normal. She has had a bowel movement this evening.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, at this point, inducing vomiting may not work as the spoon may have moved out of the stomach into the intestines; ideally, we like to induce vomiting within 1-2 hours. I would recommend changing her diet to rice (75%) with boiled boneless chicken with ground beef (25%) for the next 2-3 days. The idea is for the rice to bind the spoon and help pass it in the feces. Make sure you check her feces if you do not find the spoon in the feces within 48 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian.

If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, abdominal swelling, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Will do. Thank you!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter