Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Slight head tilt, vomiting, can’t stand or walk well but…

Slight head tilt...

Slight head tilt , vomiting, can’t stand or walk well but seems alerts just sleepy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is older12 years old... is not yelping or squirming when I pick him up but doesn’t want to be held. Was fine a couple hours ago.

3/14/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. How long has he been like this?

If you look closely at his eyes, are they twitching from side to side?

He got sick while I was out earlier today but was acted fine when i took him outside. He started this within the last year, yes his eyes are

If his eyes are twitching, this may be "old dog vestibular syndrome". It comes on all of a sudden, a complete loss of balance. There can be nausea, vomiting, falling to one side, or circling if the dog tries to walk. We don't know the cause, but the good news is that most dog recover in a few days to a week.

If this is what he has, it might help to give him some mirtazapine, Dramamine, which is available over the counter. How big is he?

15 lbs

I would give him 6 mg (1/4th of a 25 mg or 1/2 of a 12.5 mg) mirtazapine once to twice daily.

If you have him checked by a veterinarian, they could confirm if that is what he has.

Ok thank you so much

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing and if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian