Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

On 3/5 my 10 year old dog ????? Rescue dog not sure of exact…

On 3/5 my 10...

On 3/5 my 10 year old dog ????? Rescue dog not sure of exact age was put on 50 mg of prednisone for ear hematoma. 2 pills 50 mg 2x per day for 7 days, 1 pill 50 mg 1x per day for 7 days then 1/2 pill for seven days. Yesturday 3/13 i took her back to the vet for excessive vomiting and diarrhea. My vet said she most likly had a stomach virus and this was not related to thr prednisone. Blood work was done which showed high liver enzymes, my vet said this is common when dogs are on prednisone. My vet told me to dkip the prednisone for the day then resume 1/2 pill daily ubtil she is weane

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Im sorry, i wasnt dobe with my message

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ruby, my concern is that she is not being properly weaned from the prednisone

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She did eat a little chinken and rice today, but she appears to be lethargic

3/14/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Ruby. How much does she weigh?

Prednisone can cause elevated liver enzymes, as well as vomiting and diarrhea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
73 pound I concerned about the prednisone

If he is vomiting, I would try to wean him off the pred, but stopping abruptly can be hard on him. Are your pills really 50 mg? That does seem like a high dose.

I might try giving a lower dose, once daily for a few days then every other day before stopping.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
50 mg, now my vet says reduce to one half every other day. This was not the scheduled dosage. I really think the prednisone is killing my dog

That seems like a high dose for a dog his size, I agree. If he has been on it for over a week, it may not be safe to just stop it. I might try 1/4th pill daily and if he seems OK, then 1/4th every other day. If he is OK after 3 doses every other day, you should be able to stop.

Is he still vomiting? If so, I might start him on sucralfate (Carafate) as as stomach protectant.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing and if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the good rating.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian