Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a small amount of baking powder, around a

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a small amount of baking powder, around a teaspoon...will he be ok or does he need tknsee the get?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

No nothing else

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, a teaspoon of baking soda will act as a mild antacid and nothing more. Bailey will remain safe. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you, ***** ***** read online that baking powder can be toxic to dogs and he was panting heavily for a while there but I guess he got too warm or something else....phew!

You're quite welcome. No, baking powder which contains baking soda, cream of tartar (a dry acid), and sometimes cornstarch is found in many recipes and is safe for us and Bailey. It would take far more than a teaspoon of pure baking powder to be toxic to him. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That puts my mind at ease!! Thank you, ***** ***** will!

It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian