Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 50 pound lab mix ate about half a loaf of moldy bread. I…

Customer Question
My 50 pound lab...

My 50 pound lab mix ate about half a loaf of moldy bread. I don’t know how long ago as I was gone at work. He seems fine but should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lab will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the lab?

No. He is a very healthy dog

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

How long has it been since he ate it?

Within the last few hours. I was gone at work. So between 10am and 5 pm

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, with moldy bread we get concerned about a mycotoxin that causes muscle fasciculation, tremors, etc. Symptoms usually begin within 4-6 hours of ingestion. If you are not seeing any symptoms it is likely that he will be okay, no need to worry.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

What symptoms should I be most concerned with?

Muscle tremors, difficulty walking, etc.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter