Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

This morning, I noticed my neutered dog's penis was not

This morning, I noticed...

This morning, I noticed my neutered dog's penis was not retracting back into the sheath. I have not seen this before in him. He is 15 years old and we've had him for three years. We also have a 15 yr old female Italian greyhound/terrier mix (she is spayed). He is an Italian greyhound.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

His penis has been out all day. I haven't done anything, because I kept expecting it to go back in! It hasn't and this is new to me!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

It doesn't seem like he is hurting, per se. But his urinating seems different.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Zeppe short for Giuseppe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeppe?

He is a rescued dog. He is blind. He has only 6 teeth. Don't know if that matters. He came from a bad situation

3/14/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

I'm sorry Zeppe is having this issue. This is called paraphimosis. I know it's embarrassing, but don't worry! Usually something irritated the penis while out causing swelling so it won't go back in. If it just happened today hopefully it will be easy to treat. I'd first try some lubricant to rub on the penis and try to manipulate it back in. If that doesn't work due to swelling, applying a paste of sugar and water and waiting a few minutes will reduce swelling allowing you to manipulate it more. If that doesn't work, or the penis is extremely raw, then a vet visit is warranted.

Here is a website with further information:

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/pmahaney/2013/june/paraphimosis-pet-emergency-or-owner-embrassment-30463

Hopefully this answers your question...let me know if I can help in any other way. Crossing my fingers that it goes back in easily! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

I did try lubricant, and that seemed to help, but not entirely. My husband thinks he is feeling a little lump in there. I have never seen this happen with him. It didn't occur to me that there could be something wrong. Now I am freaked out.
I just feel bad I let it go all day. I WILL re-try the lubricant, or if needed, the sugar and water. Then will take him to our vet oaf many years in the morning, but I do thank you very much.

A lump in the sheath? He is 15 years old, so I can't rule out a growth causing the issue, it's just not the most common reason. Good luck!

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

Do rinse the sugar off and relubricate before attempting to place back in. Let me know how it goes!

Thanks for your help with Zeppe. I took him out to potty, and after that, tried lubricating again. His penis retracted into its sheath and has stayed in there since then (maybe 15-20 minutes ago). He seems less antsy. I didn't use any sugar, the lubricant seemed like it did the trick. If I notice again, I DO have a check-up scheduled (twice yearly well visit) on Monday and his vet will see him. I do thank you very much!

Great! You're welcome!

Again, thank you very much Dr. Sarah. Actually, IF this doesn't clear up, our vet practice of almost 20 years would get him in immediately in the morning. We will hang in there for tonight and keep an eye on him. He's only our second male in 15 years, we've had mostly females, so I really didn't realize that it should be addressed sooner, and felt bad that I let it go all day! He seems better now. I keep checking and it's inside the sheath, so I do feel better about that. Thanks again for your help.