Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She got into a fight with her sister and now has an

She got into a...

She got into a fight with her sister and now has an infection on her face. I went and bought her penicillin, she is 3 months old and weights about 15lbs how much do i need to give her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Thank you, ***** ***** is Anna

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Anna?

Shes a pit bull? The infection is right under her eye. I drained the puss out of it last night but it was back this morning

3/14/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you are looking for a penicillin dose for your 15 lb dog. Is that correct?

sir!
I bought penicillin to give her for tje infection just not sure on how much to give

The dose is 30,000 units per kilogram of body weight, so that would equal 204,000 units. Can you please tell me the concentration of the bottle? I can tell you the exact amount of medication that would be.

300,000 units per ml is that what you need?
It is the Penicillin G Procaine Injectable suspension if that helps

The dose is 0.7 milliliters given subcutaneously every 12 hours for a minimum of 7 days.

Does that help to answer your question?

thank you. Would i give it to her like i normally would regular puyy shots between the shoulder blades?

That would be a good location where a veterinarian would give it

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Thank you so much!

You are very welcome. Take care!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Would the penicillin give her diarrhea? She woke up this morning throwing up with real light bown diarrhea has a stromg smell to it as well. Sure hope its the penicillin amd not parvo. Thanks

One of the common side effects of a penicillin is upset stomach such as observed with vomiting or diarrhea. It could very well be caused by the penicillin. The recommendation for over-the-counter treatment for diarrhea is to give kaopectate and a low fat food for 3-5 days. Low fat food options consist of things like boiled chicken and white rice fed in small amounts throughout the day. Monitor for signs of dehydration. There are two methods to do this. The first is to feel the gums. They should normally feel wet and slippery. If they feel dry or sticky then that indicates dehydration. This test only works if Anna is not panting. The other test is called the "skin tent" test. This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin until you feel resistance. Let go of the skin and count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. If it takes longer than that then that indicates dehydration as well.

You're awesome. Thank you so much! I was kinda hoping it was a side effect of the penicillin. She has had her puppy shots so wasnt sure if parvo was even on option.
Hey, sorry to bother you again but sje ia throwing up more today. Should i stop the penicillin or might there be another probably arising?

If she has a history of upset stomach, lack of appetite, and vomiting then I would suspect it would be from an underlying issue. If not then the penicillin is likely the cause. If you can give the medication with a low fat food like boiled chicken or white rice, or if you can give a medication to decrease nausea like Pepcid then that might block the nausea effects of the penicillin. If that fails to work then she should be seen by a veterinarian for causes of nausea.

Ok so i should continue the penicillin for the remainder of the 7 days (3 left) and try the rice or chicken. Is there another place i can give these shots becuase ive been giving them between her ahoulder blades amd its getting pretty sore i imagine.
I have also been giving her Iams puppy food, is that a good food for her to eat right now or should i just stop that all together right now?

I would stop the Iams food right now and just focus on a low fat food with boiled chicken or rice. The injections can be given anywhere on the body, but other common places can be over the hips.

Thank you so much, I'll go and get her some chicken & rice and kaopectate.
I got hwr some pepto, how much ahould she get?

Just to clarify, you want to give Pepcid. Not Pepto Bismol. The Pepcid dose for a 50-60 lb dog is 10 mg (i.e. 1 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if she weighs more than that and I can give you the dose.

She only weighs about 15 lbs

Ok, I thought she was a pit bull. The dose for a 15 lb dog is 5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours.

She is a pit bull but she is only 13 weeks old. Thank you for the information

You are most welcome. Take care!

I could not find anything that said pepcid so i got the kaopectate. Is the dosage still the same at 5mg?

Pepcid is also known as Pepcid AC. It is in the same aisle as Zantac and Prilosec. The kaopectate dose will be different. It usually comes as a liquid, which would be 5-10 milliliters (i.e. 1-2 teaspoons) every 6 hours.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry