Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is increasingly aggravated by being petted. If I touch…

He is increasingly aggravated...

He is increasingly aggravated by being petted. If I touch his back I can see his skin quiver, his ears pull back, and he rushes away.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

It seems to me he doesn't even like me any longer. He has literally bared his teeth at me when I tried to play with him by either putting my face close to his (which I used to to all the time) or tried to get him to shake hands (put his paw in mine). I have to admit, I've become less affectionate with him because I think he will actually bite me.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Dallas/ 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Dallas?

He's 7.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dallas?

Dallas has bitten family members. o_0 The result is he's often confined to my room when there are multiple people in the house. He cannot be around strangers.

3/14/2018
jadedangel57

Hi jaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Has he had any obedience training?

What breed is Dallas?

Is he avoiding jumping or stairs at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No obedience training.He came from the ASPCA. He looks like a Black Mouth Cur (southern hunting dog) - I looked it up on the internet.We have no stairs. He jumps a lot. I do know he needs more stimulation/exercise than he's getting currently.

I'm typing your reply now.

He's beautiful. We often call them carolina dogs.

It sounds like he is just being dominant however, dogs do NOT like to have people get in their faces, kiss them or hug them or even lean over them. These can all be seen as dominant gestures. Dogs will put their necks over another dog's neck to show the other dog that they are the boss. Hugs are often viewed the same way as another dog holding their neck which is again a dominant gesture. In fact there are sites that are dedicated to teaching kids that these actions may cause a dog to be aggressive toward them.

https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/kids-and-dogs-how-kids-should-and-should-not-interact-with-dogs/

You might also check out these sites on dog body language so you can tell what your dog is saying to you with his body language. For instance, usually when a dog yawns it means they are uncomfortable with what is going on.

Https://apdt.com/pet-owners/dog-park/body-language/

http://www.pawsacrossamerica.com/interpret.html

http://www.petprofessionalguild.com/dogbodylanguage

Now if it is dominance related, obedience training can help. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

That will help the dog see you as the boss and be more inclined to not growl, nip or otherwise try to reprimand you of others since that is the boss' job.

You might want to go ahead and purchase a basket muzzle for him as well so he is unable to bite anyone.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Some of those things I learned (like the yawning when uncomfortable or stressed and not playing in his face--which is why I would put my face under his). But the rest is awesome info. I thank you so much. I will check out all of the links, and begin his two 15-minute sessions tomorrow.I thank you so much!!!

You are very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner