Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 1/2 year old lab was diagnosed with enlarged heart…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My 10...

Second opinion] My 10 1/2 year old lab was diagnosed with enlarged heart about 18 months ago. She is on 3 medications and seems to be doing GREAT. She does have a large growth that keeps getting bigger now in 8 months it went from a golf ball to a LARGE softball size. One vet did not think she would survive a surgery. Would you agree? Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the lab's name?

Joy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joy?

I originally heard she would live 6 months to a year but that was 18 months ago. She has also had some allergic skin reactions recently that were cleared up quickly with antibiotics.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/14/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry that your dog has this lump that is growing. I often will have a veterinary cardiologist assess a dog with heart disease before deciding whether surgery is an option. If the cardiologist says this is not advised then I too would advise avoiding surgery but if it is bothering Joy perhaps finding a veterinary specialty center that has an anesthesiologist is an option who can assess and manage Joy while under anesthesia to keep her safe and minimize risks.

Of course, risks will still be there but I have had to refer a few cases like this to a specialty center for surgery and they have done well with anesthesia and recovery so if you have her evaluated by a cardiologist and they say move forward but use caution with certain medications this should be effective for your veterinarian to know that this is an option but if they say this is severe enough that anesthesia is a large risk a veterinary specialty hospital would be my recommendation

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!