Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 1/2 year old lab was diagnosed with enlarged heart…

My 10 1/2 year...

My 10 1/2 year old lab was diagnosed with enlarged heart about 18 months ago. She is on 3 medications and seems to be doing GREAT. She does have a large growth that keeps getting bigger now in 8 months it went from a golf ball to a LARGE softball size. One vet did not think she would survive a surgery. Would you agree? Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the lab's name?

Joy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joy?

I originally heard she would live 6 months to a year but that was 18 months ago. She has also had some allergic skin reactions recently that were cleared up quickly with antibiotics.

3/14/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

Did your veterinarian do a fine needle aspirate or biopsy to identify what the growth is? If this is a fatty tumor or lipoma, I would not recommend removing it unless it was bothering her in some way. They can get large, but the problem with removing one is a dog prone to developing these may just develop another one in a different part of the body.

If Joy is doing well on her medications & is otherwise healthy, there is no reason to think she will have any problems under anesthesia. If she has never been examined by a cardiologist, this may be a good option because this will really tell you how well the heart is functioning & if she is a good candidate for surgery.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let m know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She was examined by a cardiologist and she is the one that said she would have 6month to a year life expectancy. That was 18 months ago. Do you think she could have been misdiagnosed? Should I see a different vet?

Did they diagnose her just with an x-ray, or did she receive a cardiac ultrasound?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cardiac ultrasound

OK, that does change things. I would not say the original diagnosis was wrong, just the estimate on life. It is wonderful that Joy has far surpassed her original prognosis. You certainly can get another opinion by having another U/S done, but if the original exam produce a rather grim prognosis, then I would only recommend a surgical procedure if it was necessary to save her life. If this is a lipoma, there is no medical need to remove it.

If the growth is a problem or is diagnosed as a potentially life threatening tissue, then I would have it removed at a facility that has a veterinary cardiologist on staff.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You are very welcome. Labs are pretty remarkable animals. I am glad that you are able to have Joy in your life all this time.

Take care, and please do not forget to rate my response. This is the only manner where I receive credit for helping you today.

Even after you rate, this thread will remain open for a week if you should have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian