Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is currently suffering from FCE, it's been about 6…

My dog is currently...

My dog is currently suffering from FCE, it's been about 6 days, but when I press his abdomen it seems to hurt him. Is that normal for a dog suffering from FCE?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Captain

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Captain?

Due to FCE, he can't move his rear legs but his front legs are fine!

3/14/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Captain. To answer you directly, no. In fact FCE isn't considered to be painful except perhaps at the instant of embolism. How was FCE diagnosed, please?

I actually was not present at the time Captain was taken to the vet, but Captain did have a spinal stroke and it didn't seem like his disc was herniated
The Vet apparently did some in depth testing and diagnosed him with FCE. I'm sorry I do not have more details regarding the testing! However, he does whimper when we do the rear leg exercises with him. Is that unusual for FCE?

I understand. Pain upon pressing on the abdomen can indicate abdominal pathology but also muscle tensing of the muscles surrounding the spine. That tensing is the primary cause of pain associated with inflammatory myelopathies (spinal cord disorders). X-rays might be considered although MRI is preferable particularly if surgical intervention is considered. Hind leg paresis (weakness)/paralysis particularly if there is a lack of nociception (deep pain perception in the hind limbs) is an indication for MRI and possibly surgical decompression of Captain's spine.

Yes, leg exercises shouldn't be painful in a dog suffering from FCE. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?